Fair Warning .......

After all the kerfuffle having to change over to a new blog earlier on in the year, producing posts has not been as easy or fun as it used to be. Since Live Writer died, the positioning of pictures has become the real bane of my life, so after 15 odd years of pretty consistent blogging I've decided that from January 1st 2025 I shall be going out to pasture! I may still post the odd picture or two as a record of my latest project, but I won't be writing up or photographing any of the process, because, sometimes, that can actually take longer than the making itself. As a blogger, I am now something of a dinosaur, if I were starting out now I'd have my own YouTube channel, but with my Brummie accent, I don't think the world would still ever be quite ready for that! Anyway, with six months to go, there's still plenty of time for a few more projects and ideas so let's see what happens .........

Monday 17 June 2024

Re-Vamped Heart Wreath

I told you a week or so ago that I wasn't all that keen on my new summer door wreath, well, let's just say it's certainly seen some changes since then, going from this ............


....... to this ........


...... making it pretty unrecognisable now!



I started by painting it black, which I liked it much better instantly.


I then rubbed it all over with some gold wax, with a little red and green for good measure ........ 


.........  it was much transformed to my taste ........


....... but I wasn't finished yet .......


....... because I made a whole batch of insects and bugs using my Specimen mould from Iron Orchid Designs ...........


 ....... painting their bodies with Ink Lab acrylic metallic paints and a brilliant, really shiny, chrome gold marker on their legs, heads and details.



I was thrilled with the results, they were even better than the ones I had in my head!


These were duly arranged on the heart and firmly fixed with an ample dollop of Hard As Nails on each as I didn't want to risk them ever coming off. 


After which I went over the flowers and leaves again with a much stronger layer of Ink Lab paints.  I was worried that metal effect on metal might be a bit much, but I think it works. 


To be honest I was pretty chuffed with how it all turned out (pinks and greens just aren't my thing), but I'm not keeping it, this is for Marc. I painted the bugs while  staying with him at the cottage, with him encouraging me to go bigger and bolder with the colour, while we were sat sitting binge watching Baby Reindeer!!!


Marc suggested adding flat back jewels to the bugs, which I think will work, however, I was so excited to get it posted on here, that I haven't got that far yet, but be assured, that as and when I do, the pictures will be added to make up a future post.

2 comments:

tilly said...

what a transformation, I love, love, love all your little bugs, they are so cute x

Cheryl W said...

Fantastic transformation!