Fair Warning .......

After all the kerfuffle having to change over to a new blog earlier on in the year, producing posts has not been as easy or fun as it used to be. Since Live Writer died, the positioning of pictures has become the real bane of my life, so after 15 odd years of pretty consistent blogging I've decided that from January 1st 2025 I shall be going out to pasture! I may still post the odd picture or two as a record of my latest project, but I won't be writing up or photographing any of the process, because, sometimes, that can actually take longer than the making itself. As a blogger, I am now something of a dinosaur, if I were starting out now I'd have my own YouTube channel, but with my Brummie accent, I don't think the world would still ever be quite ready for that! Anyway, with six months to go, there's still plenty of time for a few more projects and ideas so let's see what happens .........

Monday 10 June 2024

Mini Spooky Crypts

I made these mini crypts for Marc as he loves a skull, as much as I do!


I've had a small collection of various shines from Calico Crafts Parts 
for ages now, and finally decided it was about time I used at least a few.  The plastic skulls came from Temu (20 for £3.13) 


I started by securely gluing the shrines together ......... 


........ before adding a few laser cut skulls, bones and tombstones .......


...... rubbing them over with gold wax ........


....... finally adding the skulls and this is where I left them for a couple of weeks before going back to them before mooching on Pinterest, when I decided they really needed "something else".


So, I went over them again, adding an MDF grass embellishment on the back, a plastic spider and then going over the edges with black Ranger Enamel Accents to add a little extra texture and dimension ..........


......followed by a bit of basic doodling using 
a white acrylic pen and a metallic green felt pen.



........ before adding scraps of a brown frayed material between the skulls ......


...... which all helped give the crypts a more "atmospheric" feel, which I think really works. I am sort of tempted to add a tiny eye hook on the top so that they can be hung on a Halloween branch or perhaps even a Christmas tree, but I think I will leave that up to Marc.  I am also wondering what they would look like on a pedestal, a craft reel with a round disc in between (like a table?) ..... an experiment for another time?

And speaking of Christmas ........ could I flip the idea entirely and turn them into cute, gingerbread houses?  Hmmmmmmm ...........

https://www.calicocraftparts.co.uk/shrine-kits.html

No comments: