Monday 15 April 2024

Mushroom Houses Decorations

And ....... it's still more toadstools today I'm afraid, this time in the guise of fairy houses .....


...... made using Amazing Casting Resin and a silicone mould found on Temu for £1.29. 


The resin cures within about 10 minutes and dries with a white finish, ready to paint (?).


However, although I sanded the houses down on both sides before painting, the emulsion matchpots I used (red for the roof and white for the body) still chipped here and there, so once the two coats of paint were on and dry, I then added two more coats of glossy, clear, quick dry varnish (Wickes) as quickly as I could, to avoid any more possible scrapes ......


....... before adding the details on the door and window using a brown Sharpie pen.



To accentuate the spots on the roof, I painted over them several times with white paint, wiping most of it off after each application, to leave just the rings, and then varnished over them again, just to be on the safe side.


I painted the backs to match and added a small pendant bail at the top so that the houses can be hung.  I drew spots on the back of the roof to match the front using a white, fine tipped, acrylic paint pen.


Then came  the fiddle fart, first doodling the greenery again using acrylic pens in two shades of green, before adding the tiny acrylic flowers (Temu 88p for 100) using B-7000 for a really secure fix.


....... doing the same on the back.


I'm really please with how they turned out, I LOVE the resin, I just need to find the right paint to use on it ......



 ...... Sharpie pens work, but the depth and solidity of colour isn't there, if that makes sense, any suggestions?

I also think I could adapt the idea for Christmas, a bit of faux snow and some tiny, resin/fimo holly leaves(?) if I can find any or perhaps tiny fimo, nail art, candy canes and peppermint whirls? We shall see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The houses are so cute, really lovely.

Michele

Cheryl W said...

These are fabulous! And your Christmas idea for thems sounds perfect.