Monday 22 April 2024

Mini Halloween Domes

Some more hanging domes today, this time with a Halloween bent and probably destined to be sent to Marc. 


The 7cm x 3cm glass domes came from Temu (£4.94 for a pack of 10), the large skull beads from bracelet from a charity shop bracelet that cost me about 99p, the spools are from La Blanche (a gift from Marc), the crowns I've had for a while, probably from eBay and the metal, nail art snakes from Temu again (10 for 89p). 


I started by gluing the crowns to the skulls using E-7000 for a secure fix and then while glue was setting, coloured the spools with a black permanent pen.


I also covered the top of the cork seal with an ultra fine purple glitter.


When everything I was dry, I inserted part of a broken cocktail stick through the skull with a little glue and then stuck the skull onto the spool.


Then I stuck another broken cocktail stick into the cork seal, before putting some glue on the bottom of the spool and sticking it over the cocktail stick to keep everything in place and secure.


When everything was dry again, I added some Dovecraft 3D enamel to make things look a little more gruesome, however I thought the effect cheapened (???) the overall macabre look I was aiming for. I also decided to put a metal spacer bead under the skull, but I'm not that sure that worked either!


Then came the snakes, but they looked too bright and not dark enough for the theme ....... 


...... so, unsure that I wasn't about to completely ruin all my hard work so far, I dabbed and smudged the bright green goo with a darker green Sharpie pen, doing the same with the collar and snake in brown.


I think it's better, but something still isn't right, but I'm leaving it here otherwise they'll only be fit for the bin. 


I think, really, it's a back to the drawing board jobbie. Everything needs to be a little higher up in the dome, the collar isn't right, should it be substituted for a larger round top on the spool, or the head set at a weirder angle, perhaps the eyes need to be just left black and hollow ....... if I have the patience to return to the idea, perhaps we'll see in time!

1 comment:

Cheryl W said...

You are a creative perfectionist. I think they look great!